Being overweight has been cited as one of the risk factors for the leading chronic diseases. Other risk factors are poor nutrition, sedentary lifestyle, tobacco smoking and excessive consumption of alcohol. Globally it has been estimated that there are over 1 billion people who are overweight.
There is a call for action for countries and individuals to address the risk factors which contribute to obesity. Obesity in kids is increasing at an alarming rate.
Factors which contribute to overweight
More body fat than the recommended classifies a person as overweight. Extreme overweight is referred to as obesity. Some common contributors to overweight are the following:
- You will put on weight if you are eating an excess amount of calorie rich foods and not exercise
- Spending most of the day being sedentary
- Eating heavy meals late at nights
- Consuming excessive alcohol
Health Conditions linked to obesity
- Heart disease
- Respiratory issues
- Diabetes Type 2
- Hormonal imbalances, infertility
- Certain types of cancers
- Arthritis and other musculo-skeletal problems
The benefits of Physical Activity
- Control Your Weight.
- Reduce your risk of Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome.
- Reduce Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease.
- Reduce Your Risk of Some Cancers.
- Strengthen Your Bones and Muscles.
- Improve Your Mental Health and Mood.
- Reduce stress
- Improve depression
- Decrease anxiety
- Increase self-confidence
- Boost relaxation
- Improve sleep
- Increase cognitive ability
- Improve concentration
- Controls addiction
The Holistic Approach to Weight Loss
- Talk Therapy
During talk therapy, the coach will explore habits that could be contributing to the problem of overweight. Overeating is associated with some mental and emotional issues. Listed among these are anxiety, depression and stress. Being very distracted or constantly multi-tasking leads to frequent snacking and what is now referred to as mindless eating.
- Counting calories
Making smart choices and substituting foods for healthier types will reduce daily calories. How food is prepared makes a difference. Fried foods, high sugar, salt and fat content all lead to unintended consequences.
- Reading labels
Learn to interpret the nutrition of labels and make selections based on the healthy recommendation of sugar, salt and fats. Do not be fooled by packages that read sugar-free, salt-free or fat-free.
- Increasing everyday physical activity
The number of steps taken during the course of a day can help with weight loss and weight management. The recommended is 10,000 steps daily.
Developing a plan to gradually change some specific habits is the first step. Then setting daily or weekly realistic goals are the next steps. Keeping a journal helps to document progress as you work towards the goals
- Supportive environment
People who spend a lot of time around you at home and work can help and encourage you to stay on track. There are health coaches who can guide you through the process and be your accountability partner.
Tips to lose weight when not working out
Simple lifestyle changes can help you lose weight and maintain weight loss. It is now known that exercise and workouts although great for fitness, do not give dramatic weight loss.
- Make dietary changes
- Reduce sugar and sugary foods
- Substitute oils for those high in omega-fatty acids
- Increase intake of fruits and vegetable
- Eat lean animal protein
- Increase water intake to 6-8 glasses
- Substitute sodas with flavoured water and juices with no added sugar
- Practice portion control by using smaller plates
- Increase baseline physical activity
- Opt to take the stairs instead of using the elevator
- Park and walk when it is convenient to do so
- Get involved in chores both inside and outdoor
- Food journal
Get help to write and execute a Weight Management Plan. Track your progress
- Support group
Goals are better achieved when you become part of a movement.
- Get a health coach. This is an investment worth seriously considering.
Working out and exercising may not be practical for many people due to health issues, time restraints, or low interest. Making simple lifestyle and dietary changes can also help you lose weight effectively.
Feel free to share the post or contact me to talk about this topic further. You may also leave a comment at the bottom of this page. Thank you and I hope you enjoyed your read.